Hiring the right person is critical to optimizing success in every department of your dealership. We put a lot of time and resources into the process for a good reason. Recruiting the wrong fit for an important role can be a huge inconvenience. Not to mention, a potentially significant waste of time, money, and increase in employee turnover. Learning to search for qualified professionals and assessing their traits can enable you to hire and retain the right talent for your dealership.
Identifying the right person for the right role requires two essential factors.
1. Awareness of your dealership culture: Self-awareness of your dealership’s shared values, goals, and practices is crucial to make sure that any potential hires fit your company—but to determine that, it is important to know your own culture. What kind of workplace do you hope to build, and what traits do you value most in your employees?
2. Awareness of the candidates’ traits: The second step is to measure the dynamics of the individual—their behavioral characteristics, decision-making styles, and energy to assess how they fit with your culture and what could help them thrive in achieving the shared goals.
The barrier to hire and retain the right talent
One of the barriers to hiring the right person is neglecting to consider evaluation strategies beyond the face-to-face interview. The interview may not always be the best way to evaluate someone’s true personality. This doesn’t mean you should abandon interviews altogether. But it means adding more tools to your interview arsenal beyond evaluating resumes and a few rounds of interviews. Furthermore, additional assessment tools in conjunction with interviews give you a more well-rounded sense of potential candidates.
Pair the process with personality assessments to determine an individual’s strengths and limitations. Everyone has a unique make-up and natural way of operating in life—from home to work to socializing. Additionally, your unique wiring is what creates the one-of-a-kind you and gives you your individuality. Moreover, identifying and comparing those traits with the company culture and needs would allow you to hire and retain the right talent.
A practical resource to learn about the candidates’ traits
Data-driven hiring: There are valuable resources that one may utilize to determine on-the-job traits and how they play a role in team dynamics and the overall culture of the dealership. PDP is one such tool that provides precise behavioral metrics and descriptions to help the hiring team make data-driven decisions.
Some of the key benefits of leveraging the tool are:
- Prioritizing and weighing critical strengths for the position
- Analyzing individual’s perceptions of the job requirements
- Preparing effective advertising to attract the best applicants
- Matching applicants to open jobs
- Conducting structured behavioral interviewing
- Strengthening hiring managers’ knowledge and skills for making the right hiring decision
- Ultimately, selecting the best talent for the right role
Creating strong teams with the data-driven tool
Understanding team culture is critical to building stronger teams and dealership profitability. Too often, a group of people put together in an office environment is considered “a team” without a lot of thought about the group’s make-up, purpose, or intended outcomes. Therefore, an assessment tool such as PDP helps assess team effectiveness and removes the guesswork. Furthermore, utilizing the tool could support teams in developing skills to turn conflict into productive directions.
Discover their ‘why’: Another applicable hiring practice is to find out what inspires your potential hire the most. Does your candidate have a deep sense of purpose? Hence, it will serve as your point of reference for all their actions and decisions and enable you to determine what makes them committed and passionate about their goals.
It is essential to learn about their ‘why’ because it lets you see:
- The source and strength of their inspiration—what they do, how they do it, and why they do it.
- Whether they have a sense of contribution to something larger than themselves
- How they might behave when a situation demands characteristics such as work ethics and determination.
Over the years, PRO has helped dealerships build efficient teams and hire the right person for the right role. In addition, our team is certified in effectively utilizing PDP for better hiring, which ultimately leads to higher profitability and reduces employee turnover. Contact us today to see how we can help you leverage this tool and positively impact your dealership teams.